Sunday, 28 August 2016

Sunday Showcase: Meet Paranormal Author Susan Stielow



1. What inspired you to write in your genre?
To feel what it’s like to be young again. That’s why we have so many adults reading YA books these days. To remember what it was like to meet our first love, or first crush. Or to be the underdog who saves the day. Writing YA keeps me young at heart.

2.  If you write a series, how many books can your readers expect?
Three for the Bloodborn Series (Books 1 & 2 are already out) and three to four more in a new series I will be working on after book 3 in the Bloodborn series is finished.

3. How and why did you choose your book cover(s)?
I knew early on that I wanted my covers to match a scene from the books. But since I have an ancient computer, and no clue how to use photo-shop, I sought out the help an amazing cover artist.

4. If you had the chance to spend the day with one of your characters, who would it be and why?
That’s easy, Damen Kingston. He’s nice to look at, funny as hell, has the voice of an angel, and let’s not forget, a bad-ass vampire.

5. Are there any books or authors you admire?
Oh, God yes! Too many to list, but a couple of my ultimate favs is J.R. Ward and her Black Dagger Brotherhood series, Darynda Jones and her Charlie Davidson - Grim Reaper series and of course J.K. Rowling and her Harry Potter series. I mean seriously? Who doesn’t love her.

6. Do you have a favourite movie or TV show?
XFiles I have been a huge fan of for years, but right now Supernatural and Penny Dreadful are my favs.

7. What do you find the most challenging thing about being an author?
Self doubt. That little demon will get me every time. When he creeps in I will stop writing and walk away for a few days and refresh myself.

8. If money was no object and you could travel to any place in the world for your dream vacation, where would you go and what would you do?
Australia. Steve Irwin is my hero, and it’s always been a dream of mine to visit the Australia Zoo. I balled my eyes out the day Steve past away. It was a very emotional day for me. He was a great man.

9. Tell us about your publishing experience. Did you always intend to be traditionally published or indie published?
Being a writer isn’t easy. Especially when it comes to publishing houses. I tried traditional publishing first. They can be brutal to a new inexperienced writer. I submitted my query letters, my 3 first chapters, and so on; that the publishers ask for. At first I received no responses. Then the rejection letters starting rolling in. And when they say you need a thick skin for this business, they’re not kidding. Some letters were nice and even gave some advice. While others were downright mean. It was tough to take. I started to doubt my writing and whether my story was even good. It wasn’t until a friend read my book and loved it! So I looked into self-publishing and never looked back.

10. What have you learned as an author since you published your first book that you wish you knew when starting out?
Don’t trust ANYONE! Your book is your baby. Do your research when it comes to editors, cover artists, and so on. There are a lot of scammers out there that unfortunately, I fell victim to. Always remember that you get what you pay for.

Book 1 - Bloodborn


Book 2 - Scarlet Butterfly 

 

Buy Links - Amazon 

Get your copy of this fabulous series.









No comments: