Saturday, 19 December 2015

A Very Vampire Christmas Tradition.

Most countries, and even individuals, celebrate Christmas with a range of traditions. One of the most famous is kissing under the mistletoe. That one's fun. 
While writing Bloodpledge, the second book in my Dantonville Legacy series, I needed a particularly gruesome tradition for Sam and Terens, once former Roman soldiers. So, it couldn't be anything soft and, being vampires, of course there had to be some blood involved. It also had to be unique and based on something very practical. 
I have to admit I had fun devising it. 

Here's the scene:

‘Don’t you think it’s ironic. Nobody speaks Latin anymore, yet Frisian’s everywhere—in modern English? Maybe it’s just as well I didn’t waste my time learning to speak yours.’
Cal guffawed, reached for the decanter and poured himself another glass of wine. ‘How you gonna counter that one, Terens?’
‘Only one way I know.’ Terens rose from his seat and flexed his right arm. ‘Brand new model.’
‘By all means, test it out.’ Sam’s chair scrapped across the floor as he too, rose and began flexing his right arm. ‘Ready to lose some fingers?’ The two stood facing each other, grinning.
Kari rolled her eyes. ‘Oh no, not this stupid game.’
Alec leaned toward me and whispered, ‘Maybe we should go for a stroll around the deck.’
‘Why?’ I asked. ‘What are they going to do?’
‘Their version of an arm wrestle.’ Alec looked uncomfortable. ‘They do it every Christmas.’
‘It’s gross, Laura.’ Kari grimaced. ‘The loser must chop off a finger and hand it over. The one with the biggest collection wins.’
‘You’re kidding! At Christmas?’
‘It’s the only time they can do it—good way to test the strength of the Ingenii blood. Any lost appendage regenerates in an instant,’ Alec said.
‘Sorry boys, you know I can’t stay to watch,’ Judy said. ‘If anyone wants me I’ll be in my room.’ She wished us goodnight and kissed Luc and Marcus on the cheek. The men rose and bowed as she left the room.
‘Think I’ll do the same,’ I said when I saw Terens move one of the candelabras aside and pull a blade from beneath his trouser leg. ‘No way am I going to watch them cut off fingers, even if it is some weird Christmas tradition.’
Allez, ma petite, this is not for a lady’s eyes.’
‘I agree,’ Kari said, and skipped to my side of the table. ‘Let’s join Judy.’

I still had Alec’s Christmas present. This was a good time to slip away and give it to him.
‘Meet you there, Kari. There’s something I need to do.’ I mouthed the words, ‘Present for Alec.’
She nodded, and gave me a knowing smile as she left.
I turned to Alec. ‘I accept your offer of a stroll around the deck.’
With his arm around my waist, Alec led me from the dining room just as Sam
and Terens took up their position, elbows on the table, hands clasped, steely gazes locked. Two long, menacing-looking knives lay in the centre of the table.
I shuddered and turned away. 

Did I succeed in making you squirm? If you'd like to read the rest, assuming you haven't read Bloodpledge yet, here's the link - Amazon

Until next time, happy reading everyone. 
PS. The pic at the top of the page refers to my fun Christmas event - A Very Vampire Christmas With The Dantonvilles. Come and join in for some fun and games and great prizes to win. Hope to see you there. 
 

2 comments:

Tracy Ehlers said...

Love this scene!

Tima Maria said...

Thanks Tracy :-) I was laughing while writing it; could picture it so easily.