Friday, 6 March 2015

How NOT to Promote Your Book (Re-blogged from Trish Maria Dawson)

Yes, I'm re-blogging another article, because this actually happened to me the other day, and I was sucked in. I was contacted by the same spammy "author" and given the spiel. Just wish I'd answered the way Trish did.

Read and have a laugh: Re-blogged from Trish Marie Dawson's blog

How NOT to Promote Your Book

I love writing, even the publishing myself part. Yes, yes…I admit it’s hard to get your name out there and to share your stories with the world. But there’s a right and wrong way to promote, and guess what, I have a stellar example of what I consider one of many ‘wrong ways’ below.
But first, a quick explanation (and disclaimer), though this did just REALLY happen to me, I don’t want to list the name of the other person involved or the represented author’s book title, because that would be well…it would just be mean. And I don’t like to see myself as a mean person. So, as you read the exchange below, maybe you’ll laugh. I mean, shoot, I did.
The following messages took place on Facebook. The dates and exact words have not been changed, only the original sender’s name and one book title ‘she’ mentions.  I’ll just call her ‘S’. This ‘conversation’ started December 15 of 2014, and sadly ended today, March 5. S’s posts are in red, mine are in blue. Just to make it easy for you. *wink*
Conversation started December 15, 2014
S
12/15, 4:46am
I would love to share your book with my FB friends. PM if interested
December 15, 2014
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
Hi S – you are welcome to use whatever link I’ve put up. *grin emoticon* IHYFM and DtF are free so I love getting it out there. *smile emoticon*
S
12/15, 10:00am
My author has an ebook called BEEP. Would you be interested in providing a review on amazon in exchange for me sharing your book with my 3000 FB friends? I can send you the ebook if you can provide your email. If interested, let me know
December 26, 2014
I would still love to share your book with my FB friends
December 26, 2014
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
You are welcome to, but I don’t do review exchanges like that. I leave honest reviews on books when I can, but that isn’t very often because I’m spending most of my time writing books.
January 29
S
I would love to share your latest release with my Facebook friends.
Wednesday
S
I would still love to share your latest release with my Facebook friends.
Today
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
You keep sending the same message to me. 😐
S
Except Im not looking for a review
For a short time I’m offering indefinite shout-outs in front of my 4700 Fb fans to help promote YOUR book, when you purchase a small ebook (or free w/audible.com) for less than the price of a Starbucks coffee. All proceeds support our charity.
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
So you are selling an eBook in exchange for promoting one of mine to your FB followers?
S
The ebook is called BEEP and is only $5.99. You’ll get the book and an indefinite shout-out! Upon request I’ll even give you proof of our shout-outs giving publicity to YOUR book and I’ll even leave the shout-out up indefinitely. Proceeds go to support the Adrenal Foundation. Click the link to purchase and get your promotional shout-out now!
BLEEP REALLY LONG LINK BLEEP
9:21am
Trish Marie Dawson
Mine
Is called I Hope You Find Me. Have you read it?
It’s follow up is called Lost and Found.
Then there is my Station series, with six books so far. Heard of them?
I also have a sci-fi fantasy.
Do you read those genres?
S
All my friends love that genre
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
Well, that book is for sale on Amazon and B&N. Would you like to buy it? It is cheaper than your author’s book. By a dollar it two.
S
Sorry, Im doing this to support my charity
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
Actually, you could download ALL of my eBooks for under $20. Would you like the links?
Oh! Charity! Yes! I have two stories in two important charities.
S
I’m offering indefinite shout-outs in front of my 4700 Fb fans for only $5.99
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
One is for an author friend with cancer. The other is for no kill shelters. Which would you like to purchase to support?
Both are awesome books, I promise.
S
Have a great day
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
And cheaper than $5.99.
You aren’t interested?
S
I would love to share your latest release with my Facebook friends.
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
I love charity’s! I fully support them!
I’m a Vegetarian and did you know that you can buy a thing of hay for The Gentle Barn as a donation?
S
Are all the profits of your books going to charity?
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
Or you can donate to Esther the Wonder Pig. Both do wonderful things for animals. Great organizations.
S
Good luck with your book
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
My books mostly pay my bills, like my 2014 Escape payment. Did you know that new cars are expensive as hell?! But we need two vehicles in my family because I have to take my daughter to classes and my son to therapies. He has APD. He doesn’t process what we say to him very well, which makes him seem to others like he’s very misbehaved. But he’s a sweet boy. But yeah, we need to drive around town a lot. So my writing pays for our second car. And his gluten free foods. It’s an expensive diet. Oh! We have three rescue dogs so we also have a lot of dog food to buy every month, so I pay for that too. And we live in San Diego, where you basically pay for the weather, the views and the warm air you breathe. So I guess that not ALL of my work goes to charity. But two of my stories do.
Trish Marie Dawson
Trish Marie Dawson
Thank you for the well wishes! I truly appreciate it!
I work very hard on my writing, publishing and marketing. It’s not easy, as you probably know.

At this point, the text becomes grey, which made me think that I was ‘blocked’. But I kept writing on my phone. Unfortunately, she really HAD blocked me, which meant that my messages only show on my phone screen where I wrote them, not on FB. But I’ll still share them here…

My continuation:
But it’s the best job in the world! I get to meet awesome people every day! Like you! Thank you for sharing your author’s $5.99 story for charity. I wish you the best with promoting. But do you mind me offering you a promotional tip?
Oh shoot. Did you block me? That’s a bummer. I was going to tell you that spamming inboxes is probably not the wisest way to share.
Yes. Yes you did block me. So unfortunate. We were just getting to know each other!

So. There you have it. This is how NOT to promote your book (or another’s book), because it’s spammy. Very, very spammy. It’s one thing to share your stuff on your social media sites, chat in PM’s with readers when they seek you out, and offer up sales and freebies when they come around via word of mouth, newsletters, etc… but to repeatedly hit someone up you don’t know (nope, don’t know this S girl aside from these messages) that’s just not professional. And it gives the awesome people out there, sharing the right way, a bad name. It only takes one bad apple…right?
I hope she learned a few things today: I don’t like getting ‘BUY THIS BOOK!’ messages in my inbox from strangers, and that despite what she might think, I have a sense of humor. *wink*
Promote smarter, my friends. Happy Thursday!

No comments: