Saturday, 4 January 2014

Australia Day Blog Hop

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Australia Day is a celebration of all things we enjoy in our country - spectacular climate, barbeques, surfing, thongs (flip-flops for the non-Aussies), or as one well known Australian TV commercial spruiked, football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars. Although, I don't drive a Holden ( I prefer my Toyota Yaris) and kangaroos are in plague proportions out west, eating all the grass and leaving nothing for the sheep and cattle. But, hey, they're an Aussie icon and woe betide if someone tries to cull the flea-ridden things!
Courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

Australia Day is also in the middle of summer, where the average temperature in Sydney is 30 degrees, but can rise as high as 40. As a historian, I've often wondered how the first settlers coped in the extreme heat. Women wore layers of light woollen clothing (only the rich could afford cotton) or hemp - several petticoats, bodice and blouse as well as outer clothing, gloves and veiled hats.
It must have been torture! No wonder they died young. I'm so thankful for being able to run around in my favourite capris, light blouse and thongs (flip-flops).

Australia Day also reminds me of the joy of living in a free country. My family originally came from an Eastern European nation whose freedom had been taken away by a more powerful and aggresive neighbour who imposed a repressive and tyrannical regime - communism.
My family escaped and came to Australia as refugees.

As children, my brothers and I were taught to value the freedoms we have in this country and to uphold them. We were taught to be Aussies, and that this is where our allegiance lies.

To me, being Australian on this day is more than just the good things we collectively enjoy. It's saying, Thank You God, for allowing me to live in a nation where I don't have to be afraid.

So, let's celebrate.

Join in the Rafflecopter to win some great prizes and check out the fabulous selection of books, blogs and authors. And, if you're after a little gothic romance set in Sydney, just click on the links in the right margin for BLOODGIFTED, Book 1 of The Dantonville Legacy.
Don't forget to call in every day and visit the blogs, leave a comment, enter the raffle copter for the fabulous gift basket.

$100 and 26 e-books (some print) from our generous authors

drawn Australia Day

a Rafflecopter giveaway


January 1 Monique McDonnell
January 2 Sara Hantz
January 3 Annie Seaton
January 4 Imogene Nix
January 5 Caitlyn Nicholas  
January 6 Tima Maria Lacoba
January 7 Nicole Flockton
January 8 Wendy L. Curtis



January 10 Susan Horsnell
January 11 Susanne Bellamy
January 12 J'aimee Brooker
January 13 Victoria Purman
January 14 Ann B Harrison
January 15 Cate Ellink
 and
 Demelza Carlton
January 16 Jenny Schwartz
January 17 Donna Gallagher
January 18 Lily Malone
January 19 Tea Cooper
January 20 Fiona McArthur
January 21 Max Henry
January 22 Jennie Jones
January 23 Alison Stuart
January 24 Eve Rabi
January 25 Kendall Talbot
January 26 Annie Seaton-Prize draw

19 comments:

Rita said...

Happy Australia Day!

Tima Maria said...

Thanks, Rita. The same to you! :-)

Diane said...

I agree with you about summer and women's clothing (early twentieth century). I suppose that one should also factor in fuel stoves and the irons that were heated on those fuel stoves to use on the very difficult clothing. We should also give some thought to the lack of fly screens, and, in many parts of rural Australia, then as now, the dependence on diminishing supplies of tank water. Looking at things in perspective, we are really very fortunate.

Tima Maria said...

That's so true, Diane. I don't think I could have lived a century ago - those women were true pioneers. I'm thankful for the modern conveniences we enjoy nowadays.

Susanne Bellamy said...

Great post, Tima. It reminds us to be thankful for more than just a change in clothing! We have the freedom to complain about our government along with many freedoms not experienced by citizens in many other countries.
Cheers, Susanne

Tima Maria said...

Thanks, Susan. What I see happening in other countries makes me grateful for where I live. Australia really is a paradise, in many ways.

Wendy L Curtis said...

Love your site, very pretty and a great Aussie blog post too!

Tima Maria said...

Thanks Wendy, I appreciate the comment. My blogger site is less than two years old, so still a work in progress. And, I enjoyed writing that post as i think we live in the best country in the world!

Helen said...

Hi

I agree it is a lovely country to live in I am lucky enough to have been here all my life and I too have no idea how those early settlers coped with all that clothing I wear thongs whenever I can

Have fun
Helen

Helen said...

Hi

I agree it is a lovely country to live in I am lucky enough to have been here all my life and I too have no idea how those early settlers coped with all that clothing I wear thongs whenever I can

Have fun
Helen

lindalou said...

Happy Australia Day!

jolliffe said...

Sunshine sounds great to me. Wet cold and windy in the UK :-)

I have Bloodgifted on my TBR pile can't wait to read.

Tima Maria said...

I so agree, Helen! Let's hear it for comfortable clothing and thongs - flip-flops.

Tima Maria said...

And happy Australia Day to you, too, Lindalou!

Tima Maria said...

The sunshine is lovely, when it stays below 40 degrees, Jane! I think that 102 in Fahrenheit. Thanks for getting a copy of Bloodgifted. I hope you enjoy it. I just bought your book - Dragon Legacy. Can't wait to read it!

love to read said...

I know I came to really appreciate Australia when I travelled I knew that as much as I loved visiting other countries and cultures that Australia was where I would finally settle down, and I did come home I am loving this hop and finding more Aussie writers and books set in Australia can't wait to read it thank you cjlps23 at gmail dot com

Tima Maria said...

Thank you for that lovely comment, and I hope you enjoy discovering lots of new Aussie writers - and reading our books too, of course! It's the first time we've done something like this, and I think from now on we'll be doing it regularly.

Kay13 said...

I don't think I could have survived wearing the old clothing in Australia's heat. That would have just been insult on top of misery. And they had no Aircon.

Tima Maria said...

Air conditioning has got to be one of the greatest inventions of mankind! Here in Australia we wouldn't survive without it. Thanks Kay.