Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Trials of a Newbie Author, Pt 2 - CreateSpace Policy Changes

Sometimes, there are days when you feel like staying in bed with a good book - either reading one or writing your own and hoping the world would go away. Unfortunately, it never does.
I've just spent the last four days proofreading (again), editing (again) and polishing my manuscript, till I can't bear to look at it any more! I've reached the conclusion that there is such a thing as over-editing.

Well, I'm done, and so are all the corrections, and now that it's finally ready to go back to CS, I find they've made changes to their Corrections Sheet. Or rather, there is no longer any Corrections Sheet.
While I was busy redoing my eighty-seven typos, CS had introduced a new policy allowing an unlimited number of corrections to be made directly onto the "native" manuscript, which is then resubmitted.

I think it's brilliant! I disliked the old system, as it only allowed for fifty corrections, and any more after that had to be paid for. I went through several of those wretched sheets as my typo skills are legendary!

Part of the new policy also includes CS sending customers a physical proof of their soon-to-be-printed book to check for errors in cover design and interior formatting. But, what if there are errors? Mine's sure to have them - I know, I counted. There are eighty-seven!
As per their instructions, I completed all my revisions on the "native" manuscript, and now I'm waiting for my copy to appear on my doorstep. If there are no problems with the cover, all I then need do is resubmit my script, wait ten days for the online proofs to arrive, check over them and hit the "submit" button.
Maybe, just maybe, my debut novel will be released in paperback form by the end of July, and the ebook, four weeks after that.

Yep, publishing is a slow process, but what's the old adage about slow and steady winning the race?
I believe in creating as near perfect a product as possible; for not only is it a sign of respect for myself, but for my readers. After all, they'll be paying for it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please, feel free to share.

4 comments:

Dr. David Kronmiller said...

CS has been great. Their customer service makes KDP look like the Mafia. They have answered inquiries within one day.

They're a small company - about ten people - with a great passion for Indie publishing.

I do so wish KDP was the same.

Tima Maria said...

Hi David, whenever I've had to speak to any member of my team over the phone, they were always so helpful - and nice to talk to! I didn't know they were such a small company, but it's good to know.

Anonymous said...

This is a really good tip especially to those fresh
to the blogosphere. Short but very precise info… Appreciate your sharing
this one. A must read post!

my web blog ... click here

Tima Maria said...

Thanks for the thumbs up. I hope it helps anyone who's considering using CS to publish their books. They're easy to work with. Good luck with your blog!