Tuesday, 12 February 2013

When Is The Best Time To Blog To Get The Most Page Views?

My original intent was to post an article about writing, but as I went through my blogger stats something interesting stood out - certain days of the week received a much higher response than others. So, as Alice said, curiouser and curiouser! I decided to take a closer look and ventured into the rabbit hole and this is what I discovered.

1. My most popular articles were posted on Sunday and Monday afternoons (USEST). Now, since I'm an Australian, I have to take into consideration the time difference between my country and the rest of the world as my audience is largely from the US and Britain. Between Sydney and New York (at this time of the year) there's a sixteen hour time gap, while a nine hour one exists between Sydney and London. That means I need to blog on either Monday or Tuesday morning as it appears people enjoy reading and or catching up on blog posts on Sunday afternoons and then again on Monday evenings. And from the two, the latter rates the highest.

2. I found my least viewed blogs were posted on Friday and Saturday nights.  Like duh! People have better things to do on a Friday night than sit at home and read blogs. For an Australian, like me, that means NEVER blog on a Saturday morning! Everyone's out enjoying their weekend with family and friends, so who wants to stay home in front of their PC? Nobody!

3. Over time - as you post regularly - your page views grow as your audience get to know you and specifically search for your blog. Nothing beats perseverance and, of course, writing interesting articles. But, that's a topic for another time.

So, today's post is more of an experiment. I'd like to know whether it's the time of week or the article itself that attracts the most page views. And since I'm posting this on a so-called popular day,  the results will be interesting!

I'd love to hear from anyone who's found something similar - or not. Please let me know.

Next week? Hopefully back to normal writing stuff! 





8 comments:

Aaron Brinker said...

I have done some similar research on my blog and have discovered something similar. I also have discovered (on my blog at least) posting in the early morning hours around 6:30 am EST increases my page views. I believe this has to do with the fact that more people are reading my articles first thing in the morning or on their way to work (commuting).

Aaron Brinker aka DadBlunders

Tima Maria said...

Hi Aaron, you make a good point about people reading blogs on their way to work. For me to do that I'd have to post my blog between 11pm - 1am Sydney time to reach my US readers. So, it wouldn't work for me. I value my sleep too much! Although, I could do it for my UK readers - 8am London time is 5pm Sydney time.
I might try that next time.

Carolyn said...

Hi Tima Maria, I think your traffic timing depends heavily on your particular blog. I write a blog about personal technology and my best days for content is Monday through Thursday. My traffic drops off heavily on the weekends, starting with generally light traffic on Fridays. I have tried all sorts of posting schedules, but people aren't too interested in personal tech, gadgets, apps, software, websites, etc. on the weekends.

I have a friend who has a shopping/travel blog and she gets her heaviest traffic on the weekends. Friday through Sunday are her best days.

The best way to figure out which time is best for you to post is to try different posting schedules and pay attention to your analytics.

Valentina Hepburn said...

You're absolutely right - it really depends on the subject. I blog about writing and other stuff and I've learnt to blog from Tuesday to Thursday, from about 4pm. Most of my Blogettes live in the US so this is the best time for them, although I've noticed lately, many more views from all over the world which is great.
I'm a new follower. Found your blog on Twitter. Nice to meet you.
Valentina

Tima Maria said...

Hi Carolyn, it certainly does depend on what you blog. I can understand why a shopping/travel blog does well on weekends compared to yours - on technology - which seems to do well during the week.
And yeah, I'm keeping an interested eye on how it goes this week, as this latest topic isn't what I normally blog about.
All the best.

Tima Maria said...

Hi Valentina, nice to meet you, too and thank you so much for joining my blog. I'll check yours out, as well.
I tend to post about writing, so this week's blog was something of a deviation for me. It was just my curiosity regarding the stats.
I love the way you call your readers, "blogettes." It's a great term. And like yours, mine are mostly from the US. I might try blogging after 4pm on the weekday and see how that goes.
All the best.

Diane said...

Thank you Tima for a very interesting post. Honestly, I have never given it a lot of thought, though I have wondered why people look at certain posts and not at others. I suppose I simply decided that it was all connected to 'chance'. However, your observation that certain times are more attractive for 'blog following' makes a lot of sense.

Tima Maria said...

Hi Diane, it never occurred to me before, either. I checked the stats simply out of curiosity and when I did the maths, it surprised me. But, understanding when people read certain blogs and when they don't is a great help in knowing, not just when to post, but what, in order to attract a following and hopefully, get some responses.
Nice to hear from you and I hope you're feeling better.