Monday, 19 November 2012

The Next Big Thing

Welcome to my post of, The Next Big Thing, blog tour. I've never done one of these before, so big thanks to my fellow-paranormal-writer friend and blog-buddy, Lindsay J Pryor, for asking me to join. I've tagged three more writers at the bottom of this post.
The idea is I answer the same ten questions as Lindsay, but based on my book, Bloodgifted - which will be released this Christmas.

So, let's begin!

What is the title of your latest book?

It's called Bloodgifted, and it's the first in a series entitled, The Dantonville Legacy.

Where did the idea come for this latest book?

 Okay, this one's a bit embarrassing, as it began with someone asking me why I didn't look my age. After giving them a big kiss on the cheek, I laughingly said it was vampire genes! Thankfully they didn't take it seriously. But, it started me thinking, what if... just what if a woman actually stopped ageing in her mid twenties because she carried a vampire gene, but she had no idea that's what it was? The idea developed from there.

What genre does your book fall under?

It can be classified as paranormal romance, although it also comes under contemporary urban fantasy, thriller, even historical (but I'll discuss that later).

What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?

Ooh, now we're truly entering into the realm of fantasy! I try not to allow myself to dream this way for fear of it never happening. But, that doesn't mean I haven't been looking, and because my characters are Australian I'd honestly prefer Aussie actors. As yet, I haven't seen anyone who would fit the role - Alec and Laura are hard parts to fill - although Chris Hemsworth would be perfect as Laura's ageless-vampire-father, Luc, and Belinda Gibney, as her mother, Judy. 
I absolutely love the model on the cover of my book. She almost perfectly fits my vision of Laura. Now if she were an actor... otherwise, I guess I'll have to run a talent search? Any offers??

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

Primary-school teacher, Laura Dantonville carries a rare genetic anomaly which holds the key to ending a centuries old curse that turned her Roman soldier ancestor into a vampire.

Is your book self-published or represented by an agency?

Bloodgifted is being self-published. I decided to go the indie route after nearly a year researching the pros and cons of traditional pubbing vs indie. Those who regularly follow my blog, would know the soul-searching I've gone through. Over the last two years, though, I have entered several competitions. In 2010 I was shortlisted for the Atlas Award, run by a boutique publisher in Brisbane, and came runner-up. This year, I've again been shortlisted for the Choclit, Search for an Aussie Star, competition.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

Approximately ten months. I actually submitted the first draft to the Atlas Award and was thrilled when it was shortlisted! But, since they only published the winner, I used the opportunity to edit and thoroughly polish my manuscript. That took me thirteen months.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

 Anyone who loves reading Maggie Shayne's, Twilight Series (not to be confused with the sparkly variety), Mary Janice Davidson, Tara Moss and Gena Showalter, would enjoy Bloodgifted.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

Almost all my favourite vampire stories were set anywhere else but in Australia. Most were in the USA, the UK or Europe. I wanted to create a uniquely Aussie story, set in Sydney and in locations familiar to anyone who lives in our beautiful harbour city.  But, because I'm an ancient historian and archaeologist, I also wanted to fuse my love of history with a paranormal theme. Hence, the setting of Bloodgifted, begins in fourth century Roman Britain with the cursing of a Roman soldier, and his men, by a Pictish witch.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

Well, apart from it being set in one of the most beautiful cities in the world (yes, I know I'm biased!) I think it's best to include here comments sent to me by reviewers from the recent competitions I entered.

-  "An interesting mix of genres and a pleasure to read."
-  "One of the best books I have ever read!"

And here's my favourite, from fellow writer, Lindsay J Pryor, who's book, Blood Shadows, comes out at the end of this month. Thanks, Linds!
- "Bloodgifted is an intriguing blend of history and contemporary paranormal romance... I couldn’t stop turning the pages... With beautiful descriptions and solid, visual action scenes her strength, let alone her historical knowledge, I have no doubt this talented indie-author will grow from strength to strength as the series progresses." 

All done, so now I'm going to tag Dionne Lister, Clarissa Cartharn and CV Madison with the same ten questions. 

If anyone has any other questions about Bloodgifted, please feel free to ask.

This was fun!
 
 

12 comments:

shadow said...

Great interview, Fatima. Have always been eager to read your book and now I'm even more excited. Can't wait for it to be released!

Tima Maria said...

Thank you. I really appreciate the comment. I'm completing the final proofs (I'm a hopeless typist!)and it should be released in the next six weeks. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I've loved writing it. And, it's only the start!!

Quixotic Taylor said...

Love love the interview! You are a natural with this. You'll have no problems when it comes to TV interviews! Now when I read the book, I will see Rebecca Gibney as Judy and Chris Hemsworth as Luc. But what about Liam Hemsworth as Jean Phillipe for obvious reasons! Once again AWESOME INTERVIEW! Well done. All the work is paying off.

Tima Maria said...

Liam Hemsworth? Now there's an idea! Thanks, QT, you're always there to encourage me. The interview was fun to do, especially as it gave me the chance to talk about my book. What author could turn that down!

lindsayjpryor said...

Thanks so much for letting me tag you in this, Tima! Great interview. Aw, and thanks for including the quote. It really is a fab story (you know I'm in awe of your historical knowledge) and I'm wishing you masses of success with it. Now I've just got to think of some probing questions ready for when I get you on the HPT blog.... xx

Tima Maria said...

Hi Linds,
Just probe away! Ask any questions you like. Thanks for asking me to take part and I return the sentiment - hope your book makes the best sellers list!
I knew my historical knowledge would come in handy one day! Lol!

Dionne said...

Hey Tima! Thanks for tagging me. I'm just posting it now. I love how you came up with the idea for your book! You are such an author lol.

Diane said...

Great Interview.

Tima Maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tima Maria said...

Thanks Diane, it was fun to do. Hope there'll be many more to come!

Madison Johns said...

Congrats on making the hardest decision ever, deciding to self publish. Good luck and your book sounds very interesting. Sending you plenty of good luck charms your way!

Tima Maria said...

Thanks Madison, it was a hard decision, although I thought I'd still wait on a this great publisher from the UK who asked for my submission.
If that doesn't work out, then I'm going the indie route!