Thursday, 11 October 2012
My Self- Publishing Journey, or Do I Really Need a Traditional Publisher?
Those who have been following my blog, know that I've been shortlisted in a recent writing competition. But, before I entered, I'd already sent my manuscript to CS. My original intention was to self-publish since I wasn't keen on waiting several years for a traditional publisher/literary agent to show interest in my work. And, I believe that was the right decision for me.
Now, since the winner of the competition won't be announced till December, I thought to use the time between to thoroughly edit my manuscript, correct any typos, structural or plot problems. I figured that if I don't win, at least my book will be ready to launch by Christmas. Yet on the other hand, if I do win, at least I'll have a publisher.
So, here I am, playing the waiting game, and my next round of digital proofs have arrived from CS.
For anyone contemplating self-publishing, CS takes your original manuscript and reformats it into a double-page spread. This stage is quite exciting as it gives you an idea how the finished project will appear in book form. They even give you a choice of font types and spacing suitable for a professional finish. I actually checked a sample of each one to see whether it worked for me before making my choice.
CS allows you the first lot of corrections for free, as long as there are no more than eighty, otherwise you will have to resubmit the entire work. This costs extra.
If you want to save money, I suggest you make sure your 'baby' has gone through the editing process before the initial submission, so when you do spot errors, they're only minor and won't cost you a cent!
Once done, you're provided with a digital correction sheet. Fill it in and press 'Submit,' then wait ten working days for the completed manuscript to be sent back for your perusal. Hopefully, by this stage, it should be ready to go. Press 'Approve' and CS does the rest.
I haven't reached the 'Approve' stage yet. That's next.
All sounds good - so far. But, what if my manuscript is ready to go before I get word back from the publisher running the writing competition? Were I to win, then there's no problem and the wait would be worth it. But, if I don't, then I've lost the opportunity to release my book in time for Christmas.
So, as Shakespeare said, 'here's the rub.' Should I delay release on Amazon and possibly miss the chance of Christmas sales, OR (and this is a big or) contact the publisher and let them know my position? Or (here's another one) pull out of the comp and publish anyway?
Decisions, decisions... I hate them!
If anyone has any ideas, I'm happy to hear them. Please leave your comment below for me to gnaw over!
If anyone's interested in more information, here's a great link.
Posted by Tima Maria at 17:39