Sunday, 19 August 2012

Traditional Publishing or Doing It Indie? Part 2


In my last blog I discussed my quandary, as to whether I should seek out a traditional publisher for my book - Bloodgifted - or become an independent author, with all the risks that accompany it.

The well-known editor who originally assessed and edited my manuscript was happy to check it a second time for a modest fee of eighteen hundred dollars! I’d paid her fifteen hundred for the first editing then spent a year rewriting my entire manuscript based on her expert advice. And her suggestions were excellent. It was worth paying that amount.
But, the fee isn’t the only issue. I would also have to reduce my manuscript by thirty thousand words before she would consider recommending it. In Australia, publishers won’t even glance at a manuscript longer than one hundred thousand words.
Bloodgifted is approximately one hundred and twenty-eight thousands words.

I don’t believe that is too long for a novel and if that’s what I'm forced to do to be accepted by a ‘real’ publisher, then it’s not for me. Even if it means giving up my dream of seeing my book on bookstore shelves.
Well, at least there’s one consolation - I save myself eighteen hundred dollars!

So, one problem solved. As for the writing competition, were I to win, my book – my baby, my infant terrible – would again be in someone else’s hands. Do I really want that? And to be honest, winning a literary competition is no guarantee of commercial success. It’s readers’ recommendations and word of mouth that make best sellers. Fifty Shades of Grey is a perfect example.
My decision then? Looks like I’ll be releasing an ebook as soon as my second lot of proofs come back from CS.

If anyone has an opinion on this, please comment. I'd love to know your views.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go indie. I did and I'm glad I did.

Tom Barry said...

Goo'day mate.
Nice post. We've trod similar paths. My first draft was 185,000 words! I had it professionally critiqued and re-wrote it, and it's now going to print at 117,000 words. Less is more as they say. But why do you say you will miss seeing your book on book-store shelves? There's nothing to stop you getting it printed and distributed as well as offering an e-book. As a minimum, local book-stores will invariably stock local authors.
Anyway, best of luck with the book.

Tima Maria said...

I believe that's the way I'm headed and I'm quite comfortable with that decision. If any publisher wants my book, they'll know where to find me!

Tima Maria said...

Hi Tom,
Your comment came through fine and thanks for that nice Aussie greeting! Lol!
You've got a point about indie book distribution. I can print off several PODs from either CS or Lighting Source and canvass local independent book stores. It's a lot of work, but that's all part of it and kind of fun anyway. It appeals to the control freak in me!
Thanks for the good wishes.

Diane said...

I really think that you have made the right decision, Tima. Having gone down the same path, I know what a lot of work it is, but, if you self-publish, you retain control, and you can have the book as long - or as short - as you want. My manuscript started off at about 124,000 words, but, eventually, after countless rewritings, finished up at around 114,000. As Tom Barry suggested, there is nothing to stop you seeing the book on book-store shelves. Contact some of the independent booksellers on the Coast; perhaps they will be interested in the book, and, if they cannot order direct from CreateSpace, they may be able to order through you. Good luck, and I look forward to being able to buy a copy when it is printed.