Saturday, 21 July 2012

Beware of Using Google Images - They're Not Free!

Those of you familiar with this blog, will see that I have removed most of my previous images, except those which were my own. That's because I made the assumption that google images were copyright free. They are not!
Recently I read a horror story; that of a fellow writer sued for using images downloaded from Google. Like me, she believed they were free and therefore not breaking any copyright laws. WRONG!

As a writer, I understand the issue of copyright. I can't imagine how I'd feel if someone used my work without my permission. It goes the same with images - they belong to the person who made them and you need their permission. It doesn't matter whether it's a non-for-profit blog, twitter, Facebook, tumblr or pinterest. It's copyrighted.

Now this came as a shock to me. I honestly thought - like many others - that they were free, otherwise I would never have used them.

So, loaded with this new knowledge, I've decided to make greater use of the camera on my phone and create my own images. It may not be as professional, but at least I won't be keeping someone else's lawyer happy at my expense!
But, if you don't have the time for that, I suggest you try this site - http://researchcopyright.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/google-images-for-royalty-free-photos.html

Good luck!

Since posting this blog, I've managed to replace almost all my pictures from the reusable images on Google's Advanced Search site. The choice is excellent and many are better than the ones I'd used previously.

4 comments:

Diane said...

Some photos are in the public domain, but I agree with you that it is far safer to use one's own images. Also, by using one's own images (and text) then one is completely in control of the blog or the web page or whatever it might happen to be. Your blog is looking great. Diane

Tima Maria said...

Nice to hear from you again, Diane.
I thought it best to let people know about using images from Google, as these days so many are happy to sue over the smallest of reasons. I just wish we'd all known sooner. It took me a couple of days to replace the original pics. But, all's good now.
Thanks for the compliment.

AJ Macken said...

Just a thought, check out this blog: http://brigittegrantphotography.blogspot.com.au/
This photographer has taken some great shots, she might be able to work somthing out with you. She did some really good work with the dance school my daughters attend.

Tima Maria said...

Thanks Angela. It's good to know. You have to be so careful these days, as some people are too quick to take legal action these days. I'll add that photographer to my address book.