Monday, 16 April 2012

OMG Another Vampire Blog!

When I created this blog, it was originally intended to introduce myself to the world and give the wider reading public a glimpse of my soon-to-be-released-book - a contemporary vampire story set in Sydney.
But, as I thought about it, I realised it's more than that. It's actually my journey as a new author, from a completed manuscript to that holy grail of accomplishments - a published paperback, with my name on it, in my hot little hands (or freezing cold ones if the time taken to produce a book is anything to go by).
When I first completed the manuscript on Bloodgifted, a year ago, I entered it into a nationwide literary competition held by a publisher in Brisbane. I didn't win, but I was shortlisted and eventually came runner up. Unfortunately, only the winner was published.
Yes, I was disappointed, although to be realistic, I knew my chances were slim. To get even that far was amazing, especially as it was my first attempt at novel writing.

Yet, it gave me the confidence boost I needed to continue writing, regardless whether any publisher wanted it or not. Although, truth be told, which writer doesn't want to be published?

So, I attended the obligatory writers festivals, listened intently to what the experts were saying on how to avoid the dreaded slush pile, wrote and rewrote my pitch, and like a feverish gold prospector, went in hunt of a publisher who'd think my manuscript was the next best thing to JK Rowling and/or Stephanie Meyer!

Needless to say, there's nothing sadder than a delusional writer. 
And believe me, there's a lot more fantasizing going on in the heads of hopeful authors than you'll find between the pages of any book!
And here in Australia, with it's relatively small population and limited choice of publishing houses, the chances of getting into print is even greater. Then, from among those, only a few accept unsolicited manuscripts. You can actually count them on the fingers of one hand. The rest can only be approached via a literary agent, and they're about as interested in acquiring new authors as developing a brain tumour!

It's a sobering world.
Yet, there's light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

Stay tuned. 
My journey begins.








No comments: