Saturday, 28 April 2012

Publishing my vampire chick lit.

So, here I am, having taken my first step toward publication by creating an account with Amazon. But, instead of signing up with their interior layout team I thought I'd try my hand at formatting my manuscript myself. After all, I'm pretty computer savvy. How hard can it be?

I was about to find out.

Following the instructions, I converted my Word file into pdf, adjusted my margins to fit their trim size and uploaded it. Then I sat back and waited for the result to appear on screen. Would it come back looking publication perfect, just like in all the books?
Of course not!

I spent the next two days reformatting my manuscript, staying up well past midnight - it's amazing the type of commercials that come on at that time! - readjusting my margins and even playing around with another font. All to no avail as I tried uploading it once again, crossing my fingers, toes and everything else that could be crossed without doing myself damage.
Did it fit?
Only in my dreams!

That's when I decided I'd had enough and emailed the interior layout team at Amazon to do it all for me. It may cost me around three hundred dollars, but they'll do a professional job and I'll get a good night's sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The issue with self e-publishing is that is a relatively new platform. As such, it has many kinks it need to sort through. This is the case with anything that involves the internet. There is the issue of copryright and under what law it should be governed. (That is why it is important to read the fine print of any e-publishing contract - my legal logic is kicking in here!)

I am sure that things will improve for new publishers wanting to get their material up on e-publishing platforms such as Kindle or Barnes and Noble's Pub-it.

However, I came across an blog from author Jason Konrath (http://jakonrath.blogspot.com.au/)From what I have read this Joe Konrath is an advocate for all authors to self-publish electronically. It appears that there is good information there about everything from formatting to design to self-promotion, along with links to resources to help with things like cover design and ebook conversion.

I hope by the time you publish your next novel, e-publishing will be more 'author friendly'!